A modern housewife's quest for sanity, balance, and a cup of coffee.

Friday, January 4, 2008

The Making of Coffee and the Elegance of Socks.

First and foremost, the coffee:

The world runs on coffee, as far as I'm concerned, and many food historians would back me up to a degree (I am aware that the most popular drink worldwide is tea, but we're on my island now). The growth, trade, consumption of coffee has been a catalyst for economic growth, colonizations, slavery and near slavery of indigenous populations, revolution, and a social change. The coffee houses of Europe fueled the social and economic changes that shaped the world we live in today. Wars have been fought by soldiers fed by little else than a daily ration of coffee and cured meat. In the modern era it is unthinkable to many to head to the office or field without a strong cup or two put away. I took some time this morning while preparing my coffee and wrote down just how I make it. Try it, and once you stop vibrating let me know what you think.

I make my coffee in a French Press and you should too. You'll thank me.

Heat 500 ml of water to 90C this can be filtered if you like, my tap water is passable enough so I don't bother

While the water is heating grind 25g of fresh Arabica beans, I prefer a City Roast, or even a Full City Roast, depending on the quality of beans.

Once the water is hot and the beans are ground, dump them in the French Press. If you like, add a bit of freshly grated nutmeg to it.

Wait four minutes.

Pour the coffee into a large cup, remember, you are working with a pint of water here, so get a really big cup.

Add 28g of granulated sugar, stir and enjoy. (I like turbinado sugar in my coffee, but I keep forgetting to buy it)

Now, on to the socks:

I am a knitter. That is not the sum of my interests or existence, but it is something that I greatly enjoy. You, Reader, will see much knitting here. Right now I would like to say a bit about socks.

When I say the elegance of socks I am talking about the construction, the manipulation of stitches, increases and decreases that form the very odd shape of a human foot. Look at your foot, go ahead, I'll wait. That is one odd shape, isn't it. If you are a knitter you will appreciate the amount of shaping required to produce an item to conform to such an oddly shaped appendage. If you are a knitter chances are good that you are wearing a hand knit sock, look at it, really look. Follow the line of decreases along the side, the curve of the heel that hugs your own heel so well. That is one interesting piece of architecture, isn't it?

I was recently gifted a copy of New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One by Cat Bordhi, and I spent a good deal of time last night reading through it, marveling at the reexamining and reworking of sock structure. I simply cannot wait to pick up yarn and needles and explore these amazing new ideas. I am enthralled by the elegance and simplicity of the new constructions. If you are a sock knitter, or want to be a sock knitter, go out and get a copy.

To my Secret Pal, if you are reading, thank you again!

Coming soon (hopefully): The First Finished Object of the Year

No comments: